Tuesday, April 16, 2013

First Days Home

At the time of this post I've actually been home for a few days, but thanks to my meds and general fatigue I haven't felt much like posting.  I spent the first couple of days getting caught up on older posts, and now it's time to start posting in "real time" again.


Thanks to the alarm function on my phone, I've been mostly staying on track with my meds and nutrition and hydration.  I've since tapered off on the painkillers, opting only to take them at night now because they help me sleep.  If I take them during the day I'm too groggy and out of sorts to get anything done (like blogging)!

My incision sites are still somewhat sore, but one in particular is especially painful.  I'm assuming it's the "main" incision, through which they extracted the excised portion of my stomach.  I will NOT be treating you to photos of that.  You're welcome.   Next to that is a giant bruise.  I am NOT exaggerating when I tell you it is the size, shape, and color of a small eggplant.  Seriously ugly shit.  And it hurts, too.  So a week later I'm still unable to comfortably lay on my side without a pillow to bolster me.  And when I walk around I frequently have to press my hand into that section of my gut because my shirt rubbing against it is painful.  I'm told this will go on for a good month or more.  Fantastic.

I don't like to sleep on my back for a number of reasons.  First, it's unnatural to me, having been a side/stomach sleeper my entire life.  Second, I seem to have a harder time breathing when I'm on my back.  I don't know if that's an asthma thing or just a fat thing (there is obviously more weight pressing on my lungs when lying supine, as I carry much of my excess weight in the front), but it's seriously uncomfortable.  And then there's the issue of my cats, and how they both feel the need to use my stomach as a trampoline when I'm lying on my back. 

Two days after I arrived home I graduated to the full-liquid stage of the diet, which I will remain on until next weekend (the 27th).  My first full-liquid meal was a lovely bowl (okay, it was a ramekin) of roasted red pepper tomato soup and a side of jello.  Divine!

Since then, I've been doctoring recipes to get more protein in, and as soon as I get my hands on some dry milk I will have an easier time (I hope).  Getting 60-80 grams of protein and 40-60 ounces of liquid on a stomach that only holds 3-4 ounces at a time is proving to be quite a challenge.  Hopefully I'll get the hang of it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment